Module 2 - Email Tasks

EMAIL
mage from:- http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=email&form=QBIR&qs=n#

Q1. What information about a user’s email, the origin of a message, and the path it took, can you gleam form an email message?



You can see who the sender was, the subject, if flagged for importance, whether the sender has requested a reply, what attachments there are.

  • “Read Reply” – meaning I have read the email I have received;
  • Subject Line – I would read the subject line and then determine for myself whether I would open this email or delete, block the sender etc;
  • Sender – This shows who the sender of the email was, if a known sender, safe sender, or a sender who might have included potential viruses or unwanted spam.
Q.2 In what cases would you find it useful to use the ‘cc’, ‘bcc’ and ‘reply all’ functions of email?

C.C. -
I use C.C at work all the time. I reply to the emails and C.C. anyone whom I would think might deem the copy of the email to be of interest or use, although my reply is not directed at them, they can view the conversation and attachments, basically as a reference point. When you C.C someone, everyone who receives the email can view who also received it.


BCC.
I do Blind Copy people at work for the purposes of sending /forwarding emails to an initial party and then BCC others whom cannot be identified by the initial recipient of the email/s.

Reply All.
This is way of sending an email to all on your contacts, it also allows everyone to read your reply. It may be of a hindrance if you are in a large company as everyone on the senders list will now receive the email, even those it was not intended for. Taking care in checking your lists is always advisable.

Q.3 In what ways can you ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the receiver?

A. Ensure that all attachments are in the same format used by the recipient. You could check with the recipient before sending what programs they use, and if they are compatible to open any attachment/s.

Q4. What sort of filters or rules do you have set up, and for what purposes?

The following filters are applied to my computer; Spam filters are setup, Adult Content Filters, security filter which blocks images and other external content in HTML email.

Q5. Have you organized the folder structure of your email and why?
A. Yes. I have arranged my folder structure as follow-
  • Family:- All family related issues are saved here;
  • University:- All emails for Unit go here;
  • Follow-ups:- I place all emails that need to be attended to here;
  • Drafts: - All emails that I have fully completed etc go here.
Placing emails into their respective folders an efficeint way to be organised as I know where I can find certain emails relating to certain topics.