NET 11 - MODULE 3 – CONTRIBUTING TO THE INFOSPHERE


TASKS
HTML Tags
• Logged onto the website, So, you want to make a Web Page! (Barta)
• Read So, You want to make a Web Page by Joe Barta. (Barta)
• Download a tool called “ Note tab Light, which I downloaded in zip form then extracted into a file on my desktop called Page Tutor;
• Install Firefox, I already had this on my computer;
• Do Lessons 1 to 26;
• Do Practice Lesson:- “So You Want To Make a Webpage”;
• I saved my webpage and opened it in browser and pasted below the link to view it.



WWW.Standards
Optional ‘Standards’ task 2:

We were required to test our web page according to the World Wide Web Consortium, WC3 and selecting their validator. Identify any problems.

I logged onto WC3 validator;
Uploaded my index, html file and selected check;
Congratulations nor errors; -
Below;- the message read
Congratulations - The uploaded document "DISHPAN GIRL.html" was successfully checked as HTML 4.01 Transitional. This means that the resource in question identified itself as "HTML 4.01 Transitional" and that we successfully performed a formal validation using an SGML, HTML5 and/or XML Parser(s) (depending on the markup language used).

"valid" Icon(s) on your Web page -
To show your readers that you have taken the care to create an interoperable Web page, you may display this icon on any page that validates. Here is the HTML you could use to add this icon to your Web page:

I absolutely loved creating this. I personally I prefer html to blogging. I feel the hard work is already complete when blogging, all the templates and add-ons are already there for selection. Whereas with Html, you are creating the template, add-ons, background etc, which is a lot more challenging.

Legal Issues
We were required to visit the Copyright Website and read about copyright issues, then go to the Curtin home page and find the policy documents relating to copyright and IP in IT use.

1. Have you used images or words on your webpage or site that contravene copyrights laws?
a. No. I have not used images and words that contravene copyright laws, whilst my wording was similar to exercise, the content was mine.
2. Would you be in breach of copyright laws if you use the Curtin logo at the top of your web?
a. Logged onto Curtin university, searched for copyright policies, found the article Copyright at Curtin. Under the Title ”When You MAY NOT Need to Rely on the Statutory Licenses: Curtin University Material which stated:-

“Material in which Curtin University owns copyright and which is not classified as Confidential" may be copied without reliance on the University's
copyright statutory licenses and without any requirement for special permission to be granted. (Notification of the originator would be a courtesy.), it clearly makes no mention of not being able to use the Curtin Logo into your web as this is not classified as “confidential”, as long as you mention that Curtin University is the copyright owner.

FTP
Upload your web page onto the student web space in Oasis. My website address (URL): http://student.curtin.edu.au/14507265 - Attempted this on several occasions and could not log onto the student.curtin site.Downloaded CoreFTP – connected successfully uploaded my file to www.directory.

Could not upload – kept asking for my staff id.-
Created my own website using Lycos. – Uploaded my validated site, my URL is:-
http://dishpan.girl.tripod.com/net11/NEW1.html

Blogs
At the beginning of this course I was nervous about using blogs. Having never attempted a blog previously I was not fully comfortable with the idea of displaying my thoughts to the world.

I chose the site Blogger to begin my blog travels and as we progressed in the course, I have become more comfortable with the idea of blogging and being able to put your opinions and thoughts out there, keeping within the realms of blogging etiquette.

I have come to realise that blogs are not sole used for the purpose of journals, but for advertising. I found one interesting blog of Benjamin Christie who is an Australian Chef. His blogs contains recipes, information of diet, wine and of course food. You can join his newsletter, and view comments from other chefs.

Although creating my blog and adding comments and content to it was fun, I am enjoying creating websites as opposed to creating blogs. These initials comments however, could possibly change over the course of time. I have noticed that there is relative ease in creating a blog as opposed to creating a webpage.

Web 2.0
Web 2.0 is social networking on the web. There are so many different sites available I conducted a search via Google for the top 5 social networking groups :- http://crenk.com/top-5-social-networking-sites-everyone-should-join/ - Top 3 was; MySpace, Face book and Bebo.

Social bookmarking has evolved thanks to these sites. It is another way of sharing your information, product likes and dislikes. There are many social bookmarking sites. My browser Firefox has included Del.icio.us as an add-on, this site allows you to add your bookmark for others to view.

When using these sites you determine what content is to be added or deleted, giving you total control over what is to be viewed, which in turn can be passed onto the next viewer to take control of the content and giving the user a sense of involvement.

Html version lists are not as versatile the contents listed cannot edited or commented on, you have no say in what is being displayed, what you see is what you get. I would have to go with the social bookmarking sites preference of use for myself. It is a nice feeling having control over what you want to view.

References:-
Barta, J. (n.d.). So You Want to make a Web Page! Retrieved June 23, 2009, from PageTutor.Com:
http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/index.html
Finch, S. (2009). Top 5 Social Networking Sites Everyone Should Join! Retrieved July 18, 2009, from Crenk: http://crenk.com/top-5-social-networking-sites-everyone-should-join/
Freelogs. (2000). Hit Counter. Retrieved June 28, 2009, from Freelogs.com: http://freelogs.com/create.php